Borderline Personality and emotion regulation difficulties can be challenging to live with for the person experiencing them, and also for their partners, families and friends. Strong emotions and impulses affect relationships with loved ones in a number of ways and although family members and partners can benefit from support relatively few professionals include them in the treatment process. As enduring relationships are important to help people with BPD, those in relationships with them need strategies and support, too.
Where and When
This group will meet for eight consecutive weeks on Tuesdays from 18th February 2020 onwards. The group will be held from 6pm to 7:45pm at Brighter Spaces, 2A Prebend Street, Islington, London, N1 8PT.
What is Family DBT Skills Programme?
It is an 8-week skills-based group programme that meets weekly for an hour and 30 minutes to provide education, skills training, and support for people who are in a relationship with someone living with the diagnosis of BPD. Focusing on issues that are specific to BPD and emotion dysregulation, this group is led by trained DBT clinicians with a wealth of experience. This programme will provide you with: current understanding on BPD and emotion dysregulation, individual coping skills based on Dialectical Behavior Therapy, and family and relationship skills. It is also an opportunity to connect with and learn from others in similar circumstances.
Who should join?
This group is suitable for parents, spouses, partners, children, siblings or friends of someone with BPD or traits who are willing to:
- Improve their relationships
- Consider how their behaviour contributes to negative interpersonal cycles with their loved ones
- Practice the newly learnt new skills (both in sessions and in daily life) and tolerate the initial discomfort it might bring
- To attend all classes (missed sessions can be attended by a different family member)
- To gain new knowledge and skills and create a toolkit for a more skillful, balanced life.
What will be the focus be?
- Psycho-education on BPD and emotion dysregulation
- Relationship Mindfulness Skills
- Emotion Regulation Skills
- Distress Tolerance and Individual Coping Skills
- Effective Communication Skills
- Validation Skills
- Problem Management Skills
The fee is £640 (£80 x 8 weekly sessions per person) or £840 (£105 per two family members attending at the same time). To reserve the place 50% of the full fee must be paid at the time of booking which is non-refundable. The remaining part of the fee is due a week before the official start date. It is only possible to commit to the full course and the fees are payable for each of the sessions. This includes sessions that are not attended, missed or cancelled.