DBT is a skills-based programme for people who experience difficulties in regulating emotions, including those diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD), some eating disorders or ADHD/ADD. We offer it live and online, with the same format as when delivered in-person. There is no specific diagnostic requirement for participation in the programme. DBT can assist you in coping effectively with extreme emotional sensitivity, self-harm and problematic urges, mood swings, substance misuse, anger, depression, anxiety, intense relationships and impulsivity.
When and How
The online DBT skills classes are provided live via Zoom on Mondays at 5:45pm, Tuesdays at 4pm-5:30pm and 6pm-7:30pm and on Wednesdays from 4pm to 5:30pm. You will be sent a link to the class by one of the facilitators before each module or before each class (if two facilitators are involved in running the group). Since the beginning of the public health concerns related to COVID-19 the following classes are also available online: on Tuesdays at 1:30pm, Wednesdays at 6pm, Thursdays at 5:30pm and Saturdays at 12:15pm.
- Distress Tolerance: 11th October and 3rd November 2022
- Emotion Regulation: 29th October 2022 and 6th December 2022
- Interpersonal (Relationship) Effectiveness: 2nd or 23rd November 2022 and 12th December 2022
- Core Mindfulness: 17th or 18th January and 4th February 2023
- Interpersonal Skills in Action: 5th October 2022
What will I learn?
- 6-week Core Mindfulness and Middle Path module is designed to teach you how to increase your awareness levels, decrease reactivity and judgmentalness, focus better, train your attention, accept current moment experiences and be more compassionate towards yourself. This module will also teach you how to avoid taking extreme positions and instead acknowledge the validity of different positions and others’ perspectives.
- 8-week Distress Tolerance module is centred on accepting difficult situations and emotions and finding ways to survive and tolerate the moment without engaging in problematic behaviours such as self-harm, conflict or impulsive substance misuse.You will learn how to respond to stressful and overwhelming emotions by engaging both your body and mind in the process. This module will cover both strategies of change and acceptance.
- 12-week Emotion Regulation module involves learning to recognise and label current emotions, identify obstacles to changing emotions, reduce emotional vulnerability and reactivity, increase positive emotions and harness a more positive long-term outlook, and change emotions that are unhelpful or unwarranted. This module will also teach you how to gradually decrease avoidance of feelings and become more comfortable experiencing emotions.
- 8-week Interpersonal Effectiveness module teaches strategies for asking for what you need, saying no, setting boundaries and coping with interpersonal conflict in a way that influences others whilst enhancing the relationship and your self-respect. This module is of particular relevance to individuals who experience their relationships as chaotic, intense and unstable, and it teaches strategies for maintaining balanced relationships.
- 10-week Interpersonal Skills in Action is an advanced module for people who have already attended the standard Interpersonal Effectiveness DBT module and want to enhance their interpersonal skills further, improve existing relationships and build new ones. In this module you will learn about the theory and practice of dialectical thinking, balancing opposites, how to balance intense desire for change with acceptance of the moment, validation of self and others, recovering from invalidation, building new relationships, getting people to like you, how to communicate your emotions to others, mindfulness of others, reinforcement and strategies for changing behaviour. There will also be two practice sessions to immerse yourself in the application of the skills. You will also be able to bring your own real life scenarios and receive suggestions from the group trainer on how to approach them skillfully.
The fees are £75 per 90-minute class and £85 per 2-hour live class (payable per module). DBT classes are designed to be intensive and interactive, not where you passively watch the screen. You can expect to be challenged by the didactics, demonstrations and discussions. The aim of this approach is to encourage you to use this coaching to help you maximise your use of the tools that you will be learning.
The skills class can be attended in conjunction with individual DBT therapy as part of the full comprehensive DBT programme, live and online, with the same format as when delivered in-person. For further information about the upcoming entry points and the full programme please visit the DBT Programme section of this website.
- Please reserve the required time to ensure that you are not disturbed and can concentrate fully throughout the duration of the class.
- For the best and most comfortable experience, attend the class on the computer or laptop instead of a mobile.
- Have the camera switched on.
- Make sure that all other programmes on your device are closed and that nothing can disrupt your internet connection.
- Remain in a confidential space.